One of the most popular proverbs taught during elementary school is that ‘prevention is better than cure.’ It is essential to take care of yourself by having regular medical check-ups to make sure you’re on the right track to a healthy life. This practice will help lower your chances of falling sick and detect potentially life-threatening diseases early. Preventive healthcare services are designed to decrease the risk of complications by closely monitoring the situation, thereby increasing the chances for better treatment and cure. In short, it could improve your survival rate to a significant extent.
With recent developments in the medical device industry and the pharma sector, health check-ups are curated according to a person’s needs. Two factors, age and sex play an important role while determining the nature of preventive services.
Tests for the Young
They say, ‘caution is the eldest child of wisdom.’ Being young doesn’t guarantee fitness or wellness. According to the world’s biggest health organizations, chronic health diseases associated with the heart, lungs, or blood are catching-up at an early age globally. Studies show that poor lifestyle choices and the deteriorating environmental conditions are huge contributing factors.
Here are a few preventive health check-ups for the young. Better to be safe than sorry!
- Blood pressure: This is an important marker to learn the health status of your body. It is highly recommended to get your blood pressure levels monitored on a regular basis.
- Eyes, mouth, and ears: Current quality of life immensely affects the way your senses work. Make sure you got these organs covered in your health check-up package.
- Cholesterol measurement: Knowing your cholesterol levels can help in controlling your health to a large extent. This is extremely important in monitoring your heart’s condition.
- Blood tests: This is a life-saving medical check-up.
- Blood glucose: This reading informs you about the sugar level in your blood.
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN): The BUN test measures the amount of nitrogen in your blood.
- Blood creatinine: Another essential test to monitor your kidney-functions.
- Blood electrolytes: This test indicates the blood electrolyte levels to make sure you’re up and running.
- Urinalysis: Analyzing urine contents can detect a lot of underlying problems, especially those associated with the kidneys. Therefore, signing up for urine tests would make a smart choice.
- Electrocardiogram: This measures the electrical activity in your heart and tells about its health. Make sure you have it included in your package.
- Cancer screening tests
- Mammogram: This detects abnormal/ unusual growth in the breast(s).
- Pap Smear: It informs of the potentiality of cervical cancer
- Prostate Tests: It informs of the potentiality of prostate cancer
- Occult Blood Test: It is a stool test to determine the potentiality of cancer in the large intestines.
- Sigmoidoscopy: This test informs of the potentiality of cancer in the anus, rectum or lower part of the large intestines.
An ideal preventive healthcare package would include check-ups for the following:
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases: It’s necessary to get your body checked for inconspicuous STDs.
- Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis or TB Test examines the presence of an infection due to the TB bacteria
- Chest X ray: It is used to diagnose conditions affecting your chest and neighboring areas.
- Hepatitis: It determines the presence of hepatitis virus in your body.
Tests for the Elderly
With age, comes the responsibility of regularly looking after your physical self. An ideal preventive health check-up for senior citizen would include the following tests:
- Bone Density: Bone Density Test scans bone minerals in bone tissue.
- Blood pressure: It monitors your blood flow levels
- Blood Sugar: It is used to check blood sugar levels to diagnose diabetes.
- Breast exam and mammogram (For women): It detects potential cancerous growth in or near the breast(s).
- Cholesterol screening: It is used to check the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Dental Exam: It is a critical preventive health test to monitor oral health.
- Eye Test: It measures the condition of eye and sight.
- Hearing test: It examines hearing abilities.
- Mole check-up: It determines any potential abnormal growth on moles.
- Pelvic exam and pap smear (For women): It detects potential cancerous growth in or near cervical and uterine areas.
- Rectal exam and other colon cancer screening tests: It detects potential cancerous growth in parts surrounding your rectum or colon.
- Stepping on the scales: It helps in tracking your weight due to a health condition
- Thyroid hormone test: It measures the amount of the thyroid-stimulating hormone in the blood.
Tests for Women
Women, both young and old, are recommended to adopt measures of monitoring their health on a regular basis. Especially at the age of 50, include a health plan to keep an eye on your physical self. A proper preventive health check-up for women must involve the following:
- Breast exam for breast cancer screening
- Cholesterol check: It monitors the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides in the body.
- Colonoscopy for colon cancer screening
- Complete physical exam – This health check-up includes height and weight measures, blood pressure, and blood tests recommended by your physician, such as tests for blood sugar, blood count, hormone levels, and other crucial infection markers.
- Dental Check-up: It monitors condition of oral health
- Eye exams: It tests eyesight and condition.
- HIV & STD Tests: It examines any health disorders due to sexual contact.
- HPV test: It is used to diagnose human papillomavirus, genital warts and cervical cancer.
- Mammogram: It is an X-ray exam to detect signs of breast cancer.
- Pap smear for cervical cancer
- Pelvic exam for internal genital abnormalities
- Skin self-exam for skin cancer screening
- Thyroid test: It detects the amount of thyroid-stimulating hormone in the body.
Investing in preventive health check-ups is definitely worth your while. Plan ahead and stay healthy.