What is Jaundice?
Jaundice can be described as yellow coloration of the skin. The color of the patient’s skin as well as the whites in their eye turns to a color of yellow. This is because of the level of bilirubin in their body. When the level is too high, then their color could change to brown. People can tell when someone has jaundice due to the change in their color as well as due to jaundice fever.
A newborn’s immature liver often can’t remove bilirubin quickly enough, causing an excess of bilirubin. Jaundice due to these normal newborn conditions is called physiologic or neonatal jaundice, and it typically appears on the second or third day of life.
Jaundice can also indicate an underlying issue with your liver or bile duct.
Signs of jaundice
The following are the signs of jaundice:
- A change in your skin tone and the whites of your eyes. This starts at the head and follows down your body.
- Pale stool
- Dark urine
What are the types of Jaundice?
There are three types of jaundice:
- Pre-hepatic: In this form of jaundice, there is excessive red blood cell breakdown which causes an imbalance in the liver. It overwhelms the liver’s ability to conjugate bilirubin.
- Hepatic/ Hepatocellular: In this form of jaundice, there is a dysfunction in hepatic cells. This causes the liver to lose the ability to conjugate bilirubin. The bilirubin that conjugates will be excreted out as normal but the unconjugated bilirubin will remain in the bloodstream and cause jaundice.
- Post-hepatic: This refers to the obstruction of biliary drainage. The bilirubin that does not get excreted out will get conjugated in the liver.
What are the causes of jaundice?
There are multiple causes of jaundice. Some are listed as follows:
- Sickle cell anemia
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Liver cancer
- Bile duct cancer
What are the home remedies for jaundice?
Some home remedies for jaundice are as follows:
- Sugarcane juice: This helps strengthen the liver and aids in better functioning of your organs.
- Goat’s milk: Goat’s milk is easier to digest and contains antibodies that help in curing jaundice.
- Natural sunlight: This is something that doctors recommend when infants are diagnosed with jaundice.
- Green grape juice: The juice of green grapes helps in improving the function of the liver. It helps to balance the serum bilirubin levels which results in jaundice being cleared off.
- Ginger: Ginger has multiple antioxidant properties. It is also hypolipidemic which can help the liver.
- Garlic: Garlic is known to be a powerful antioxidant. It also helps in liver detoxification.
- Lemon: Lemon juice is known to help unclog the bile ducts due to its antioxidant properties.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is known to be a probiotic and helps improve immunity. It also is known to bring down the levels of bilirubin.
How is jaundice diagnosed?
How is jaundice treatment done?
Jaundice does not have a particular treatment, but doctors often cure the condition that is causing it. Once the root cause is eradicated, then the bilirubin levels begin to come down and within a few days come to the normal range.