What Is a Parathyroid Hormone or PTH?
PTH full form is Parathyroid Hormone which is made from tiny parathyroid glands in your neck. These glands are in control of the calcium levels found in your bloodstream. When the natural calcium levels are low in your body, then these glands produce PTH to bring the levels back up to normal. Once your calcium levels rise back to normal, your glands will automatically stop overproducing them. A PTH blood test is conducted to help assess if there are any abnormal calcium levels in your system.
Why is the Parathyroid Hormone Test Done?
This is done in patients who have hypercalcemia or hypocalcemia. The purpose of parathyroid test is to evaluate hyperparathyroidism and hypoparathyroidism, detect abnormality of parathyroid glands and to monitor kidney disease. This is just like a regular blood test and only involves taking a sample of your blood for testing. In some cities, you can get a PTH test at home if you do not wish to leave your home or are in no state to go outside. You can consult your doctor to prescribe the test and have it done at your home by the hospital or a third party medical centre.
Symptoms of Parathyroid Disorders
There are multiple symptoms of parathyroid hormone. 4 common signs and symptoms of parathyroid disorders include the following:
- Body ache: Body ache is one of the most common signs and symptoms of parathyroid disorders. This is very easy to notice but also very easy to mistake as the symptoms of another illness.
- Memory loss: Another common symptom of parathyroid hormone is having memory loss. Many people experience the feeling of not being able to remember even common things. This is one of the most well-known symptoms of parathyroid disorders.
- Depression: Parathyroid hormone is known to affect the moods of people, and the feeling of being depressed is one of them.
- Chronic fatigue: The feeling of having no energy to do even the simplest tasks is one of the most common symptoms of parathyroid hormone.
1. Normal Parathyroid Hormone
Normal parathyroid hormone levels is when the PTH levels are around 10-55 pg/mL. The level of PTH secretion is based on the levels of calcium in the body. When the levels of calcium in the body are normal, then the level of PTH secretion is also normal.
2. High Parathyroid Hormone
High Parathyroid Hormone levels or Hyperparathyroidism is when your body releases excess amounts of parathyroid hormone into your bloodstream. This can lead to a variety of health issues in the body. There are two categories of hyperparathyroidism. They are primary hyperparathyroidism and secondary hyperparathyroidism. A PTH blood test can let the doctors know what level your PTH is at.
3. Low Parathyroid Hormone
Low Parathyroid Hormone levels is a state in which the secretion of PTH is very low. This may be caused by the low levels of calcium in your body. During this state, there is also an increased level of blood phosphorus running through your system. It is easy to bring your body back to the normal PTH levels from this state.
PTH test cost in India depends on the location and in some cases, the hospital you are getting it done from. The starting price for a PTH test cost in India is Rs. 600.00/-. The average price is around Rs.930.00/-. In some states and hospitals, the price could reach up to or beyond Rs.1200.00/-. You will have to consult your doctor or a medical centre to get a proper price idea.